Tuesday 27 December 2011

Example of Will Power/Dream Realization

I once worked for a company where, at the end of a dimly lit, narrow hallway, one always met with a closed door, that of the company VP's office.

Asking around, I found out this man had closed his office door one day, a few years before I started working there, and he'd isolated himself in there since and, his being an important figure in the company, no one there dared disturb him.

My open-door/open-jacket management philosophy had met its match in this Man and so, each morning, I'd go from office to office, down the long hallway and say good morning to everyone and, each time, I'd knock on the VP's office door, say good morning and then ask him: "Should I leave this door opened or closed?" upon leaving.

Everyone in the office thought me to be out of my mind, out for Professional Suicide, at the time. Many, meaning well and having my best interests at heart, had repeatedly suggested I stop this behaviour.

However, I've never been one to give up and, once my mind's set on something, I bite down on it ad mordicus until it yields to MY Will and so, unruffled, I continued.

This went on for well over a year, EVERY DAY until, one morning (possibly due to sheer exasperation with me - LOL!!) the VP told me to leave his door opened.

The following day, as well as all those which then followed, a light punched through the previously dark, narrow hallway as the door at the end of it, the door to the VP's office, an office with large windows, remained opened.

Said VP and I having become and remained great, lifelong friends since, confided something to me one day, years later:

The day he'd initially shut his office door was the day following the night he'd lost a Son to Suicide.

Moral of this Real-Life example?

Hang on tight to your dreams/ideas, these could well come to benefit more than just your own person someday :)

Go get'em!


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment